Monday 29 March 2010

Sporting Camera Trauma

My dictionary describes trauma as an emotional shock, I think that just about puts in a nutshell my feelings on Saturday afternoon at the rugby game, Gateshead vs Ilkley.
Had spent time preparing cameras, batteries and wet weather clothing, spent two hours travelling to the ground, enjoyed a superb lunch in good company in the clubhouse after which the game started, I managed to get a few shots and then the 'TRAUMA', my camera decided to switch itself off, I tried everything, rebooting, changing batteries, changing memory cards. I now looked as though I was giving a bad impersonation of a circus juggler, panic was starting to set in and the action on the rugby field was hotting up. Any self respecting photographer would now be dipping into his haversack and producing a spare camera body, but oh no, cleverclogs had decided to travel light. I was just about to resort to lump hammer technology, when my prayers were answered, the lights came back on, there was life in the camera, my composure was quickly regained and I took up my position at the edge of the pitch trying to look as though the tantrums of the last ten minutes had never happened.
The camera managed to last out untill the final whistle blew, what a relief, I could now retire to the bar and contemplate future contingency plans.
The final result of the game - Ilkley lost after putting up a hard fight. Photographs that I managed to salvage from the game can now be viewed at www.ruggerpix.com
Gateshead vs Ilkley, Ilkley in possession 27/03/2010

No comments: